RACHEL BRITTANY DUKE
2482 18th Avenue • Sacramento, California 95820 • (469) 323-5251 • email@example.com
Writer/Editor/Social Media Specialist
- Created and implemented Facebook and Twitter at established print publications, working independently and with small creative teams.
- Led independent research in Washington, D.C. on women’s struggle with pornography, including attending several meetings within Capitol Hill.
- Directed and produced a PSA package on Habitat for Humanity, in fall of 2009.
- Co-workers know me to be eager, energetic, proactive, willing to implement new projects.
DMNmedia – The Dallas Morning News (DMN)
January 2012 – Present
- Write, edit and post online editorials/blogs, videos and website content
- Write copy for print editions and proofread print edition for both publications
- In charge of putting together content and graphics for monthly e-newsletter for both publications; coordinate and update event calendar; work closely with production team to ensure copy is effectively integrated in design and copy
- Write up press releases and daily update media outlets with ideas and inspirations for homeowners, design professionals, brides and wedding professionals
- Formerly organized and executed corporate events for the magazine, both for networking and for our clients. Role shifted and became more specialized in the transition with DMN.
- Work with production to create editorial and contest calendars
- Introduce marketing and branding ideas to CEO for consideration and approval
White Rock Lake Weekly, Copy Editor
November 2011 – January 2012
- A part-time copy editor and freelancer for a Dallas local newspaper.
- Transfer articles from In Design to Word and send them off to our online editor.
WE & MBN Magazines, Print & Online Assistant Editor
February 2011 – December 2011
- Updated all four websites daily/weekly with relevant press releases and supplier diversity news
- Coordinated social media platforms
- Proofed editorial content both for the online and print publications
The Washington Times, Reporting Intern
May 2010 – August 2010
- 14 published articles
- Internship program sponsored by The National Journalism Center
2ndSaturday, Journalism Intern
January 2010 – June 2010
- Video production: coordinating interviews, filming, editing, writing and production
The Daily Update, Crew
August 2009 – December 2009
- Writer for Arts and Entertainment section of SMU’s student run newspaper
The Daily Campus, Contributing Writer
August 2009 – Present
• Writer for Arts and Entertainment section of SMU’s student run newspaper
The Daily Mustang, Staff and Contributing Writer
August 2009 – Present
• Administrative staff for SMU’s online campus news website, spring 2010
• Writer for Shift Magazine and Blogs section
J. Crew Crew-Cuts, Sales Associate
September 2007 – May 2009
• Contributed directly to the achievement of sales by assisting customers both on the sales floor and on the phone with purchases.
- Responsible for sales, stocking, and inventory.
JP Morgan Chase Bank, Teller
October 2006 – May 2007
• Provided quality customer service and handled all paying and receiving transactions
efficiently and accurately.
Southern Methodist University, Dallas, Texas
- Bachelor of Arts, Journalism
° Minor: History, Overall GPA: 3.775
° SMU Honor Transfer Scholarship recipient – For students transferring with a GPA of 3.7 and above
° SMU Phi Theta Kappa Scholarship recipient
° 2009 Summer SMU-in-London Study Abroad
° 2009 Summer SMU-in-Taos Scholar
- Chairperson, “9/11: Never Forget Project”, September 2010
Richland College, Dallas, Texas
- Phi Theta Kappa International Honor Society
• Microsoft Office • Picasso III • Photoshop
• Final Cut Pro • Studio Cameras • Twitter
• Flip • Blogger • Garage Band • Soundslides
• Photography • Facebook • YouTube
• WordPress • Organization • Teamwork
• Database 101 (CARR) Certified
ACTIVITIES and INTERESTS:
- UGM Men’s Homeless Shelter, Volunteer
- White Rock Court Retirement Home, Volunteer